Hamilton Guide to Buying Toddler's Clothing
Author: Vicki Rossington
Buying clothing for toddlers is even more exciting than buying baby clothing, there are a few things parents need to consider when choosing appropriate clothing for their little ones. Your toddler might be beginning to walk or cruise around furniture, it's important to buy clothes that won't get caught on furniture or trip your toddler up.
Toddlers need clothes which allow them the freedom to explore their surroundings, and where possible protect their knees. It is easy to get caught by the old saying 'she'll grow into them', but be careful that your toddler's clothes are not so big that they could trip on the length of the clothing. Having said that, 3/4 length pants can be an advantage when purchased too long. your toddler can wear them as full length jeans and then as capri pants. That's great value for money!
Toddlers need good quality clothing which will stand the test of climbing, crawling, getting mucky and being washed and washed again! Often good quality, durable clothes cost a bit more, but your little one will get lots more wear out of these garments and this is where you will see your value for money.
Toddlers spend lots of time painting, drawing, using playdough, in the sandpit, digging dirt, riding bikes and doing anything else which will get them dirty. Don't choose your little one's best clothes for these occasions, you don't need to be upset if something you love gets messy, choose clothing you are not worried about getting mucky. We all know toddlers need to play and get dirty, your little one's clothing needs to be suitable for everyday play situations.
Certain care should be taken while washing and storing your toddler's clothing for maintaining their appearance and durability. You should wash and dry toddler's clothing following the instructions tagged on them.
- Just as when you shop for clothes for yourself, you need to know the size of the clothing your toddler wears now. Toddlers grow fast, so the clothes you bought two months ago may already be tight on your little one. Take a look at the clothes you have now and how they fit your child. If they seem to be getting tight, buy a size or two bigger this time.
- Clothes for toddlers often come with features that allow them to grow without growing out of their clothes. For instance, it is smart to buy toddler clothes that use Velcro closures. Velcro gives as toddlers grow. The same goes for elastic waistbands that can expand with your child.
- You can also buy clothing a size too big for toddlers. This is a common practice, especially for people who do not want to buy more clothes in a short period of time. Just be sure the clothes fit your toddler well enough to allow them to be active without hindering their movements. You don't want the clothes to be so big that the arms cover your toddler's hands or the pant cuffs drag on the floor. One size up should be sufficient to provide your child with room to grow.
- The other comfort factor for your toddler is the material used to make the clothes. Cotton remains the most versatile material, one that breathes during hot weather, and that can keep toddlers warm in cooler weather. Cotton can also be washed many times. There are also synthetic materials that are used in toddler's clothing. If you want to purchase toddler clothes made of synthetic materials, just make sure the label states that the clothes are fire retardant.
- Finally, pick clothes for your toddler that speak to your sense of style. Some people prefer off-the-rack toddler clothes sold in department stores, which can certainly be inexpensive, but not always the best value for money. Boutique clothing offers better quality, durable garments which will stand the test of time. The other option is unique and one-of-a-kind toddler clothing found in boutiques. If you want your toddler to wear something different than other children, this is the route for you.
Make sure the toddler clothes you want to buy can take all that toddlers dish out. Toddlers are very active and are known to become messy as they play and eat. So, read the label on toddler clothing to make sure you can wash it often without fear of it quickly falling apart or shrinking.
Hopefully this comprehensive guide provides some insight into buying toddler's clothing which will withstand the test of time! Remember, good quality toddler, designer clothing is often more expensive but you will see your value for money when your child's clothing can still be worn months and months after you have purchased it.
About the Author:
Fashion news and reviews
Childrens Clothing Resources-bellabelle.com.au